Wednesday, December 12, 2012

1966 Lincoln Continental (and Cadillac Fleetwood)

Love Me, Love My Lincoln




Let's fire up our automotive wayback machine and journey back to a time when Ford made a serious attempt to wrestle away buyers from Cadillac. I present, the Lincoln Continental of 1961-1969. In the case of our subject in particular, a 1966.


I'm of a generation that finds it all but impossible to appreciate just how strong Cadillac's grip on the luxury car market was up until the 1980s. While GM has done a great job in the last 10 years or so restoring a lot of image and prestige to the brand, it will never be what it once was. If for no other reason that there are just so many other brands vying for the luxury buyer these days.  


The boneyard off westbound I-90 in Avon, Ohio is still alive and well with rusting, melting, falling apart, cool old cars. Every wreck in here is a gem. I thought for sure that this lot would get cleaned out with the construction of the new interchange less than a half mile south of here. Score. Our Link here is in the middle of the yard next to a '66 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham and it gives me the opportunity to look at both hulks and seriously wonder which one I would have choosen had I been of luxury car buying age and means back then.


If that choice was to be made in a vacuum and I only had a Lincoln Continental and Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham to choose from I'd go for the Lincoln. Imagine, a four door convertible. And  suicide doors. I'm drawn to the Lincoln. Enough to buy one? Yes. The fuddy duddy Cadillac? Let's leave that to the old money.  


A friend of mine who is old enough to remember the good old days when Cadillac was king told me that back then Cadillacs were considered much more prestigious to own than these Continentals.
Based on sales of Cadillacs vs Lincolns back then you'll see that he was right. Then again, I'm not one to bow to convention so I would draw my own conclusions. Lincoln, please.   



Besides. You know what they say about opinions.

Love me, love my Lincoln. 

No comments:

Post a Comment