Tuesday, June 12, 2012

'74 Corvette (update)



I write this this morning giddy with anticipation of what the day hopefully will bring.



To review, on the cusp of our twentieth wedding anniversary my wife and I have approved the purchase order for this delicious 1974 Chevrolet Corvette. Like any marriage, though, the purchase of this car comes not without strings attached.



The car is on Long Island which is 500 miles away. The distance between here and there is one obstacle to getting the sexy beast back to Cleveland. The good news is I am dealing with very close friends back in New York who are acting as brokers for me in this deal.



The second is, and I knew there was something squishy going into the marathon drive of a past weekend out to the Island to look at the car, there is a heavy ticking in the engine that even the most novice of muscle car mechanics would raise their eyebrows over and say, "that's not good". Some would not have made the traipse this past weekend knowing of the ticking. I'm not one of those persons. I looked at the possible engine trouble as a further bargaining chip down from an already decent asking price for the car. Besides, I don't need any excuse to take a trip back to the old country.



After some hairy logistics and heavy bargaining to get the car to a mechanic it turns out what at first may have been something as onerous as a "blown rod" or "bad lifters and a torn up cam" turns out to be be, perhaps at worst, a bad distributor. Wow. So, from at worst a $4000 engine transplant to maybe at worst a $500 repair job.



This looks like the beginning of a beautiful relationship.



Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment