Wednesday, September 19, 2012

The Great Frieze Project Update - "The Stoop"



I found this plastic facsimile online that I can purchase for $59.99 per section. Each 12 X 8 section  runs $59.99.
 
Progress has been slow. Actually...non existent. What with my work schedule and other commitments work or otherwise, we've made exactly zero progress on putting a Yankee Stadium esque Frieze above the work bench in our garage. What's more, with other home improvement projects taking precedence, there's little precious time to do anything approaching frivolity. And the The Great Frieze project is, if anything, frivolous. What better reason to do it?


Back in January, in an attempt to reduce clutter at the back door I decided to rebuild the steps by expanding them and using the expanded part as a shoe rack.
 
What little time I have had has been spent freshening our master bathroom and rebuilding the "stoop" in the garage.


I guess my plan was to move the spigots? I don't remember but I will tell you that with this set up the spigs were useless.

Will and I built this ridiculous back "stoop" in the garage back in January to be a combination "stoop" and shoe rack. However, as much is the case with anything that I do, I grew increasingly discontent with my work because, for some reason which escapes me, I built the stoop/shoe rack under the garage water spigots. While I've never used these faucets, (hot and cold water? Wow!) I knew from almost the minute I finished this thing  that I'd either have to move the plumbing or rebuild this monstrosity to remove "the quirk" of having blocked water spigots.


Stage 2 of the rebuild of the rebuild. This is probably about hour six of a 90 minute project.

Naturally, I opted for the total rebuild. Go big or go home. Don't just waste your time; lay waste to your time over and over again.


Note the shelves in to the left front of our Corvette. Something bad was going to happen. Luckily, the worst thing that did happen was a colossal expenditure of my time.

That also included rebuilding the craptacular shelving that I had built adjacent to "The Stoop". They were really bad. Sagging under the weight of cases of water and Gatorade my concern was that something was going to roll off my pathetic dilapidated hunk of junk and hit the Corvette. Even a bottle of G2 hitting the soft fiberglass would leave a painful mark on "Sweet 77". That wasn't going to happen so off I went with crow bar, hammer, table saw and jig saw to rebuild something that I had only built not nine months before.


Will helping out during those happy, simpler times back in January when all we wanted was a place to put our shoes.

What I thought would be a 90 minute or at most three hour project now has stretched out over three weeks. Chalk this protracted project to building something with no plan, tearing apart something that Janet did not like (the original rebuild of the rebuild had a funky dog leg set of steps for additional shoe storage that Janet said we would trip over. I didn't argue. She was right) and just the amount of time it takes to really build something right. Which I should've done in the first place. If I recall correctly, in the original rebuild process, I had run out of lumber and was too cheap (and lazy) to go back to Home Depot to purchase additional supplies. Mistake! The mother of failure is cheapness. So. True. I know I knew better but built it anyway. Lou-zer.


It's coming together. I'm not happy that the top of the show rack under the shelving is not level but I'll fix that. Add the kick plates top and bottom and we're done.

Well, "The Stoop" is almost finished and in my humble opinion is quite handsome. The accompanying (also rebuilt) shelving adds a nice touch. 


This looks worse in pictures that it does in person. As big as this is it's just not big enough for all my stuff. Nonetheless, the clutter will get fixed. When I have time.

The master bath freshening is nothing more than a repaint and some trim changes. Oh, and the installation of a TV in the vanity area. After all, every bathroom must have a TV. That TV install will no doubt take most of a weekend afternoon to install. Then there's the much need expansion of the work bench itself that probably should come before the Frieze gets built. Sigh. Good times.



3 sections, almost three feet of plastic Yankee Stadium awesomeness, runs $179.99! Crikey! At that rate that's almost as much as the real thing!

In the meantime, "The Frieze" awaits.

No comments:

Post a Comment