Friday, December 4, 2015

1979 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta - Italian for "Awesome"


Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta's are another one of those "you either get these things or you don't" scenarios. Perhaps it's because I was a kid when these came out in 1979 and I bought into everything Camaro back then. A luxury themed and tinged Camaro? Why not? 


Not knowing any better, I thought there was no tangible difference between one of these and a Z28. A Camaro was a Camaro. Little did I know that the Camaro Berlinetta, new for 1979 and replacing the "Type LT" in the Camaro lineup, was targeted at...women.


Strong enough for a man but made for a woman? Umm, ok. If they say so. The Berlinetta was  Chevrolet's attempt to have a Camaro for everyone even if, in practice, a luxury Camaro was pitted directly at the Monte Carlo. When you have nearly 60 % of the market, you can do whatever you want, right?


The Berlinetta was, in essence, a rebadged "Type LT". A tad plusher interior than what was offered on other Camaros, more sound insulation and an exclusive suspension that gave Berlinetta a "supple ride".  You say "supple" I say "squishy". 


For 1979 a Berlinetta could be had with a god's green earth, 170 horsepower, 350 V-8 like this. However, for 1980 and 1981 things got snoozy when the 350 became exclusive to the Z28 leaving Berlinetta with nothing more powerful than an optional 155 horsepower 305. Chevy's new for 1980 229 cubic inch V-6 making 115 horsepower was standard. They even offered a 120 horsepower, 267 V-8 for people who had to have a V-8 but wanted V-6 mileage.  Note, no A/C compressor. 


I still love these big old sexy hulks and I kind of miss those days when I believed everything that I saw and people said. "Berlinetta" might be Italian for "small saloon" but to my inner 14 year old, it still means "awesome". 


No comments:

Post a Comment