Tuesday, January 26, 2016

1982 Chevrolet Caprice Classic Diesel Wagon - Robin, To The Engine Hoist!


Had I been as old as I am now when the GM/Olds Diesels debuted, I have to believe I would have embraced them for everything they had to offer - all the comfort and room of traditional, or should I say "new traditional" full size cars with the fuel economy of much smaller cars; despite the horrible performance and the additional cost of the Diesel engine. I had no love for them at the time because they were not the big, gas burning V-8's I grew up with and adored. 


Didn't love them then and I certainly have no less disdain for them now. This charming, Olds 350 Diesel powered bomb is for sale in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, that's in the eastern part of the state, with an asking price of $650. That's a fair asking price for a car that could go for as little as $200 if not $150 given that the car has not run in 20 years. Owner says the engine may be seized. 


Just as well the engine is seized. No sense in even attempting to start this engine given that it has to go even if it was running. Did the head bolts break off? Fuel lines rust out? Does it matter? Robin, to the engine hoist! 


I love station wagons and this car is interesting to me only as an inexpensive way to own one but even some things are so far gone that they're not worth salvaging. Never mind the struggle of pulling the engine, fuel lines and tank - replacing that cracked dash is a much bigger hassle. 


Brake lines and probably all of the steering components would have to go too seeing how long this thing has been sitting. I don't mind the time I'd have to put in and everything could be done on the cheap for maybe $2,500. That would include a big, gas burning V-8 from a junk yard, fresh fuel lines and new fuel tank, new brake lines, re-manufactured steering cylinder, new steering hoses, new radiator, transmission and differential flush. Might want to change the shocks and springs too while I'm at it. 


After I did all that what would I have? A 1982 Chevrolet Caprice station wagon I laid out upwards of $3,000 for that still needed tires and a paint job. 


My wife is patient with my projects - but not that patient. 



1 comment:

  1. Did you buy this? I called the guy 3 days ago and he said he'd get back to me. I'm in college looking for a project to slowly work on. Still waiting for an answer. I have a trailer ready, and a garage waiting.

    ReplyDelete