Wednesday, September 21, 2016

With Olds Cars It's Always Something


I expect nothing but trouble from our beautiful but oh-my-god so fragile 1977 Corvette but when our daily drivers starting acting up is when day to day life gets inconvenienced. It's been a tough month or so for "The Fleet".


The first problems crept up on the Monte Carlo before the boys left for school. What I thought was a transmission problem turned out to be a bad mass air flow sensor; when working on your car it is crucial to get a proper diagnosis of what's wrong otherwise you could spend hours upon hours chasing a problem that's not there. Happens all the time with the Corvette. As part of a $700 repair estimate from a hoity toity shop that also included a $225 transmission service and $150 diagnostic fee, they also wanted more than $300 to replace the MAFS. I had a small, local garage, that didn't serve espresso and toffee chip muffins, do the transmission service for $120 and although it took several three tries to get the right sensor to work, I was able to replace it ultimately and have the car run strong for $135. All in the net savings with going with a small, local garage for the transmission service and doing the MAFS myself was more than $300. I'm also not going back to that shop that charged me $150 for a diagnostic, that's just too much. Also, the shop owner got indignant when I declined further repairs citing, politely of course, he was charging too much. By the way, the transmission service was expensive but if you've ever serviced a transmission you know what a mess it can be. I figured that was money well spent not to have trans fluid all over my face not to mention my garage floor.


The Monte also has a bad driver's side wheel bearing; the wheel pulsates at speed and occasionally the idiots lights will bong at me telling me the ABS and traction control systems are on the blink again. The last time they did this the ABS harness on the passenger side was shot. That was a $400 repair I did for less that $40. The bearing replacement is a "I'll get to it before winter project" that will run me approximately $90. The Shop wants more than $400.


On to our 2006 Tahoe - recently my wife noticed an odd banging sound when she'd brake hard - turned out to be a bad driver's side tie rod. Again, eating $50 to get a diagnosis from a shop is money well spent for I had no idea what was wrong. I replaced it for less than $50, shop wanted more than $350. This was a scary project since it involved the steering rack but if you're careful, diligent and resourceful, especially if you don't have a lift, you can do this too. The best was that although every online expert recommended that I get an alignment as soon as possible after doing this job, it came back that the Tahoe's front end was within factory specifications for alignment. Take that computerized front end alignment equipment; I aligned our front end using a wooden ruler.


Next up on the broken down cavalcade of old car worries was this horrendous coolant leak from the Tahoe. We've had our Tahoe for over six years now and while it's been in general a marvelous appliance, when it acts up, it acts up big. And again, getting a proper diagnosis of what was wrong was crucial for I was almost certain that it was a head gasket issue. Or something equally not good since the coolant appeared to be leaking down the transmission dip stick shaft or worse, from the transmission itself.


However, I researched that head gasket issues are almost nonexistent on GM's most excellent LS series of engines. A $52 diagnostic charge at a chain garage revealed that it was a leaking heater core connector. That garage wanted a breath taking $260 to replace the connector. I think you know where this is going - I did the job last Sunday morning for a total of $21.


No sooner did I pat myself profusely on the back as I counted my substantial savings that I noticed a small puddle of gas underneath our 1996 Camaro, currently "off line" as the boys are at school. I've deduced that the connector for the fuel line to the fuel filter is leaking and I'm not looking forward to wrestling with what would appear to be the original filter and rusted fuel lines. GM's of this vintage notorious for bad brake and fuel lines. With old cars, it's always something.

No comments:

Post a Comment