Friday, November 18, 2016

2017 Mercedes Benz C300 Coupe - Nice Honda Accord You Got There


What's the point of spending the equivalent of a mortgage payment on a small house in the Midwest every month if people have no idea that you've spent that much? Take this 2017 Mercedes C300 4Matic coupe; does it not look resemble a Honda Accord coupe that costs maybe half as much if not more? Hope the owner really loves the car for what it is and not because of what he or she thinks it says about them. Peronally, I think it says they've wasted their money.


That's the thing with spending a lot of money on a car these days. What are you really getting that you can't get for far less money? Cocktail party bragging rights? Really? Does the owner of this car live in such a tony neighborhood that they don't think something like a Honda Accord would suffice? Point is mute - this car belongs to someone who lives in the residences at an outdoor mall on Cleveland's west side. So much for impressing the Jones' with their fat ride stuck in a parking garage. But I digress.


Years ago, yes, you did get a lot more car for your money when bought large but these days the lines between austere frugality and luxury are blurred. After all, the Honda Accord coupe (above) is a most excellent automobile. Ugly as hell from the edge of the doors back, just like the C300 coupe, but excellent nonetheless. Why is it that both the Mercedes Benz C class and the Accord four door are much better looking than their coupe variants? Same goes for the old Sigma II based Cadillac CTS and just about every sedan based coupe these days. If sedans are dying then coupes are dead.


Save for the American muscle car triumvirate, Mustang/Camaro/Challenger, coupes today suffer from weird styling details that make me look away. You give up a lot with coupes and in doing so, the syling's got to be dead on otherwise, what's the point? This saying a lot coming from card carrying, coupe lover me. I'll never buy a sedan but I can see why cross over utility vehicles are so dang popular these days; they offer styling mojo that coupes once offered. When time comes to replace our family Tahoe I know for certain that my wife is going to insist on a cross over. Gee whiz, I can hardly wait. By the way, if you're wondering, these days I'm all about the Ford Mustang GT.


Back to Mr. or Ms. Gotrocks here and this $60,000+, C300. Damn that's a lot of money. Anyway. one thing that is nicer on this car, compared to an Accord, is the interior. Absolutely stunning. However, much like the Accord and almost all coupes today, cars in general when I think about it, is that visibility all around and particularly out the back is atrocious. Blame hump back whale baby butt for that. Not a fan.


I'd love to run into the owner of this car one day, it could happen, and gush over his gorgeous car and make it seem as though I'm living vicariously thorugh him wishing that I had the means to blow a grand or so a month on one car. If I sound jealous, so be it. One thing for certain, I'd never have the the gumption to tell them snidely, if not snarkely that I love their new Honda Accord. It is fun to think about it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment