Friday, April 20, 2018

Lexus RC 200t - No Matter How Much Things Change

 
In a world now populated by crossover coupes like the Toyota CH-R, it's nice to know that there are cars out there today like this Lexus two-door coupe for us sport coupe lovers to slobber over. I say two-door coupe because these days, much like manufacturers referring to minivans as SUV's, the word "coupe" doesn't necessarily mean "two-door" car or crossover.


The Lexus RC has been around since 2015 and the 200t, our subject is a 2017 model, was around for  2016 and 2017. The RC 200t was the most affordable of the RC's bookending a dizzying if not confusing lineup that had also included the hybrid 300h, the 306 horsepower, 3.5-liter V-6  RC 350 and the 467 horsepower, 5.0-liter V-8 powered RC 500. There was also an RC-F powered by an even higher performing version of the V-8 found in the RC 500. We got all that? Lexus simplified the lineup for 2018 dropping the hybrid and the V-8 engine and moving names around. This car is now known as the RC 300.
 


There's something alluring to me about someone who'd buy the least expensive model of an expensive make; something off-putting at the same time. I applaud the gumption to step out there but not going all the way and getting a more powerful, and yes somewhat more expensive model, makes me wonder why someone whose got the beans to spring for a $40,000+ car would do so and not get the real McCoy. Where they've drawn a line in their own sand is vexing to me.
 

Yes, I have a laundry list of problems with this car and the first one lies under the hood. The RC 200t says, "oh, look at me, I'm edgy" meanwhile this little 2.0 liter turbo engine whispers softly, "but I'm really not".  The problem with the RC 200t is the blasted thing is just too heavy for the engine to haul around with any real modicum of chutzpah. The RC, which is classified as compact, is as portly as it is because its an amalgamation of three different rear wheel drive Lexus'. The front end is from the GS, the middle section is from, of all things, the IS convertible and the rear end is from the IS sedan. Cobbling together parts bin bits and pieces might be cost effective but it almost always results in an automobile that's quite portly if not obese. Even the 306 horsepower RC 350 is not lauded as being a particularly strong performer. Did I mention they got rid of the 467 horsepower V-8 engine for 2018? If you love the lines of the RC, the model to get is a gently used RC 500.



Another problem along with piddling performance is mediocre fuel economy. Expect 18 - 20 on average. Yeah, I know. This isn't the only 2.0-liter turbo powered car that I've experienced that isn't exactly thrifty at the gas pump. Aren't these gee whiz power house engines supposed to be stingy on gas? This is progress? Lumpy performance and shitty mileage - quite the combo. Sign me up. On second thought, I'd rather drive a 1975 Chevy Monte Carlo and save $35,000. Seems to me the Lexus RC 200t is the same type of car. Nice ride, fancy styling, all show and no go. You know what they say about no matter how much things change they remain the same, right?



Another problem I have with this car along with aesthetic issues is image. With a car like this you need to be aware of the signals you're sending out - they can and most likely will be misconstrued. After all, it's not what you meant to say - it's how people interpret it. Snaps to you if sincerely don't care. Most people do. Best you can do is buy this car because you really like it and could care less what people think. Trust me, though. You can't win. People will hate you for driving it and us oh-so-judgmental car snots will think you're a moron for not springing for one with the bigger engine.
 


Finally, as I do with so many cars today, I take issue with the lines on it- all RC's lack that certain "gotta have it" factor. I can't be alone, again, seeing how horrible the sales are for RC's either. Might be the slamming together of different cars to make one but at the same the styling is derivative and fussy. It's more Mighty Morphin Power Ranger whereas I'd be looking for something more subdued and at the same time bad ass. In the fickle world of sport coupe buyers, limited as it is, there are just better choices out there. Go ahead. Judge me.

No comments:

Post a Comment