Saturday, February 15, 2020

2005 Ford Mustang GT - Check Please


I sold my 2005 Ford Mustang GT a couple of weeks ago. Why? Because, my wife told me to. Haha. Seriously, I got rid of it because less than a week after I bought it last year I lost my job and in an instant, what was to be my "summer car" was suddenly frivolous, utterly unnecessary and a brutal reminder of when I had a job that afforded me the luxury of yet another car. When I finally did sell it, through Facebook Marketplace, which, by the way is awesome and makes Craigslist look like the  shit show it is, my wife and I were like a couple of giddy bank robbers counting their take after a heist. The wife happy to have it gone because of the expense of it and I was happy to see it go because, and please, don't tell her this, I really didn't like it.



I know. I know. What's wrong with me? Me, dyed in the wool car guy who first dated his wife because she drove a cool car and who's been fortunate to own a host of spectacularly craptasitc cars in his lifetime. Well, all I can tell you is that given that plebeian transportation today is so good, I quickly lost the want and acceptance to make the sacrifices this car required of me. Look at my very short ownership of this car being not unlike dating someone who's gorgeous but is dumb as a bag of rocks and you find really annoying. Hot as hell but so difficult to be with that the physical attraction quickly wanes.


What was not to like to about my Mustang? I mean, wow. Look at this thing. Sexy as hell but where shall I start? Quirky dash layout, uncomfortable seats, lack of modern amenities like a compass and an outside temperature gauge not to mention at least an aux hookup for my phone or whatever. Oh, but I could change the color of the back lighting behind the dash. Seriously, what the eff, Ford? It had heavy, clumsy steering, a stiff, kidney rattling ride and while it had good power, its twitchy throttle made for all or nothing acceleration. While on that subject, I felt the car was a freakin' rocket. However, even as a sporting conveyance, it wasn't that interesting to drive and used as a daily driver was maddening.


Why did I buy it in the first place? Honestly, because I thought it was cool and that was about it. Did I realize what a pain in the ass it was when I bought it? Umm, I guess so. Maybe I thought I could learn to live with all its charming quirks and foibles. Well, I was wrong. Just like the 2002 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 I had years ago, which was an even tougher son-of-a-bitch to live with, used as a daily driver, cars that are nothing but powerful and good looking get old. Fast. In fairness, using the Mustang as sparingly as I did, whenever I did drive it I found it to be very entertaining. A really fun, weekend car.


Here's the kicker. As much as I loathed this car and that Camaro Z28 I had, I can't honestly tell you that sometime in the future I won't get another one. Or two. Why? Because I still find them alluring and taken in small doses they're actually quite fun. Used as a daily driven appliance? Check please.






No comments:

Post a Comment