Friday, February 18, 2022

1998 Chevrolet Lumina LTZ Limousine - Exchange Offer Me


Amazing what you find when you're not looking for it. If this can be considered a find. Apparently, Meta's algorithms have gone (literally and figuratively) south seeing that it (or they) would think I'd be interested in this 1998 Chevrolet Lumina LTZ limousine based on my browsing history. Well, I probably would be if it was a 1998 Lumina LTZ sedan but...a limo? And for sale down in Mexico?


I grabbed these photos of it knowing that if I didn't, I'd probably never see it again. And I was right. I went back to FB Marketplace and I couldn't find it. Right now, at least, Marketplace allows you only to search a five-hundred-mile radius at a time from any given city; I currently live in Cleveland, Ohio. I even changed my city to McAllen, Texas on the Texas\Mexico border and couldn't get anything to come up for sale south of the border. Just as well. Although, it's been years since I've even seen the technical spiritual successor to the legendary if not iconic 1994-1996 Chevrolet Impala SS. Regardless of how long it is.


The listing was in Spanish and although I took a year or two of Spanish in high school, I couldn't make heads or tails of what the poster was saying in it. I did a google translation of the text and this is what it came up with:

Limousine foolproof full full arrive and work with everything up to date without any type of debt. I would also exchange offer me.


Best I can make of it is everything works as it should and it has a clean title. They're also open to trading something for it. Probably would be a significant amount of trade seeing that the asking price is $23,800. Add also mentions there's 200,000 miles on its analog ticker.


For 1998, Chevrolet basically took what they did to their Monte Carlo Z34 and did the same to the Lumina. That being ditching the (awful) LQ1, "Dual Twin Cam V-6" and replacing it with the 3800 "Series II" engine, front-struts with four-stage valving, thicker anti-roll bars compared to what was on lesser Lumina's and beefy (for the time), Goodyear RS-A's. They threw on some tasteful cladding and the rims from the Monte Carlo LS and, voila, Lumina LTZ.


Us General Motors sycophants bought hard. A Lumina LTZ was on my short list to replace our beloved 1996 Nissan Maxima when its lease expired. We ended up with a Malibu LS instead. You know what they say when you make plans. God laughs.


Making a limousine out of a sedan is not as complicated as it might seem although it does appear to be quite time consuming. It's a pretty straight forward process although I wonder where whomever converted that Lumina into a limo got the prefabricated pieces like the exterior side panels, glass and roof from. All the interior trimmings appear to be fairly off the shelf stuff if not DIY-able. Still, it's a handsome if not odd-looking piece. No seating in the middle of the stretched area is a bit of a head-scratcher but no more so than the whole thing in general.











No comments:

Post a Comment