Thursday, May 5, 2022

2002 Dale Earnhardt Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS at 250K - Why Do I Still Have This Car?

Well, it finally happened. The Dale crossed the magical if not mysterious 250,000 miles mark this week. My feelings are an odd mix of a sense of accomplishment and, "why the hell do I still have this car"? 

I've owned this car since September 2010, and I don't think I thought about how long I would have it or what my plans for the future for it were at the time. Does anyone have truly long-range plans for any vehicle they purchase? I believe some do but many don't stick to whatever loosely drawn up plan they may have for it. At least leasing has succinct bookends but that's a whole other animal for a different blog. 

I felt somewhat guilty for ditching the 2002 Ford Taurus SEL we had at the time when I first got this car so to some degree, I know I'm still flogging myself for buyer's remorse, I need to lighten up as some murderers don't get twelve-year prison sentences. Good thing I really like this car. 

Buyer's remorse, or fear of it, can be crippling. My wife has it too to some extent but not nearly as bad as I do. While that fear has done wonders for our bank account and nest egg, it does come at the expense of perhaps not enjoying life to its fullest. We look both ways and stress about all major purchases not just automobiles. That said, though, I sincerely believe that the literal road to a happy, fulfilling life will not be found through a vehicle purchase. Or lease. To that point, I know we're not missing out on much. 

Would I like a new car? Sure. Who doesn't like a "new car" although, honestly, there's not a lot "out there" that really strikes me as "gotta-have-it" these days. I love the current Ford Mustang, but a 2018 GT with 14,000 miles on it is for sale near our home here in Cleveland, Ohio with an asking price of $37,500. That's insane. I'm not paying forty-grand for a car. Especially a used one. And a brand one? Give me a break. 

We do have some decisions to make regarding The Dale. We have a diagnosis that the upper and lower intake manifold gaskets need to be swapped again and the front wheel bearings are shot. Again. I've yet to replace the soggy rear struts too. The bearings are easy to replace but the intake gaskets scare me and that could be a pricy repair. Still, the cost of the repair will be a drop in the bucket compared to paying for another car. 

Looks like I'm stuck with this thing for the foreseeable future. 


No comments:

Post a Comment