Friday, August 12, 2022

1968 Plymouth Barracuda - Soft Spot


I've got a soft spot for 1967-1969 Plymouth Barracuda's. And for all the right reasons too. No sentimental, nostalgic non-sensical hogwash here. I just like like 'em. I like 'em a lot. 


My favorites are these hard top's although I wouldn't kick a "Sports Fastback" out of my garage. I like these things even with the vinyl top. Forget the convertibles. Top up or down. 


I wonder how it would have gone for the Barracuda had Chrysler come with these designs in 1964 rather than the slightly warmed over Valiants they did come with. And came with two-weeks before Ford introduced the Mustang. Timing, apparently, is not everything. 


Not that it mattered given the marketing resources Ford had at the time. Their marketing blitz having as much to do with the success of the 1964 1/2 - 1966 Mustang as much as their having no discernable competition. Sorry, the Chevrolet Corvair and the original Barracuda just didn't cut it. 


Not that I think the original Mustangs are really anything to look at. I know that sounds sacrilegious but I'm of the opinion that Mustang design didn't really hit its stride until 1967. And if Chrysler rolled out these delicate flowers in 1964, I'd have to imagine that although they wouldn't have a chance of outselling Mustang, they'd at least have had sold a whole lot better. Just my two-cents. And it's probably not worth that seeing that these updated Barracuda's sold no better than the originals.


Blame GM for that too. Just as Ford updated the Mustang and Chrysler got their act together, GM came with not one but two ponies that, aesthetically at least, were the equal of what Ford and Chrysler had. Don't discount the Mercury Cougar's effect on the market too. Amazing that these are based on the same chassis as the also new for 1967 Valiant. One of the dopiest, American Motors-est designs Chrysler ever came with. But what a time to be alive and have the means to afford a sporty car! 


As for this tired, soggy old soul. Well, what can I say. It's for sale in South Carolina with an asking price a not unreasonable $2,000. But seeing it's been sitting in a field down there for a very long time, based on how far it's sunk into the ground, you know it's got to have frame problems. 


Looks like it's been stored under a tarp so that might explain why and how the body is not more-rotten. Poor thing looks like it needs everything, and I just don't know if it's worth the trouble. 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment