Thursday, October 6, 2022

1999 Pontiac Firehawk - Moth to a Flame


I've had three fourth-generation Chevrolet Camaro's so I know better than to think any good can come from a fourth-gen Pontiac Firebird. However, like a moth to a flame, when this drop-topped silver fox fish hooked me with a "FOR SALE" sign on it, I had no choice but to get a closer look. 


And what I found was that this wasn't a run of the mill Firebird or Trans Am convertible but the rarest of Firebirds, a Pontiac Firehawk. Means nothing to most people but if you suffer from F-body-itis, it doesn't get much better. Well, a 1977 Bandit Trans Am would but this will suffice. 


Pontiac Firehawks were the result of a partnership between Pontiac and Street Legal Performance, or "SLP", of Livonia, Michigan between 1991 and 2002. All Firehawks started out as Formula Firebirds from 1991 through 1996, there was no 1997, but starting in 1998, the option was available on Trans Ams as well. This one here is a 1999. 


Firehawks got "breathed on" engines and transmissions along some heavy-duty, race-track worthy suspension tuning. Supposedly some unique interior baubles and bits too although I don't see anything particularly special about the interior on this one - looks like the same cheap, Tupperware grade interior all of my Camaros had. The spartan-esque insides part of the charm of these cars, right? Contemporary road test reviewers gushed about the Firehawks noting that a lot of the lesser model's inherent crudeness had been sorted out. 


When we lived in Dallas, Texas, I came thisclose to buying a 2000 T/A so I know all about the subtle differences between GM's two plastic-fantastic F-bodies. Actually, the bodies on 1993 through 2002 F's were a polymer similar to what they used on early Saturn's and not fiberglass like a Corvette. Firebirds, even Trans Am's had a more compliant, all but supple ride compared to the Camaro and I found their exaggerated, bulbous styling appealing. That's saying a lot too since I also loved the Camaro although I've always thought the front-end reboot GM did on both for 1998 worked better on the Firebird and Trans Am. 

What killed the deal was the finance office guy kind of got on me for not opting for the pricy, not-factory backed and very short extended warranty plan he offered. "You know, you blow the transmission on one of these cars and it's like six-grand to fix it." Just like that I thought better of the deal and walked out. Oh, the look on his face since I had already signed most of the paperwork. 

A month or so later I found my 2002 Camaro Z28 and thus began my nine-month, love\hate relationship with that car. Hot damn best looking car I've ever had but I wish it was a friendlier beast to deal with day-to-day. The biggest mistake I made with that thing was using it as a daily driver; the intensity and density of Dallas traffic is sorely underrated. I didn't have any significant problems with that car save for the passenger side power window motor giving out but the tooth breaking ride, numb, oh-so-heavy steering, creaking structure, weird and uncomfortable driving position, the catalytic converter bulge reducing front passenger leg room next to nothing and its thirst for premium gas got old quick. Still, I'd take it back in heartbeat if I could and use it as it was intended as a weekend toy. 

The mechanical maladies on the two 1996 Camaro Sport Coupes I bought for my boys was the stuff of legend. I would not take either one of those back although if I happened upon a '93-'96 Z28 on the cheap I can't say I wouldn't lobby the wife for it. Read more about those lovely bombers here, here and here. 


I felt like I got stung by a cattle prod when I saw the asking price for this. I don't know what dollar amount would have felt appropriate for me to call on it but mid-thirties for a '99 Firebird seemed exorbitant but that's what these things are going for. I could care less it was a Firehawk, honestly. What's interesting to me is that it's LS powered, has a six-speed and it's a convertible. That and it's freaking amazing looking. But not $35,000, ditch the '77 Corvette for it worth of amazing looking. 


I haven't seen it since that day so, somewhat amazingly, I have to assume it was sold. Hopefully to someone who'll enjoy and not mothball it. I find it perhaps being sold amazing since that kind of money is solid, sixth generation (C6) convertible Corvette money. Ah, but that's me. There's always something else out there that's even more alluring and, frankly, a much better car in my humblest of opines. Such the plight of being a moth to a flame. Lots of different flames. 



No comments:

Post a Comment