Thursday, March 2, 2023

2000 Chrysler Sebring - Yes. He said "Funner"


My latest cheap car search unearthed this underrated gem this morning. It's a 2000 Chrysler Sebring with just 55,000 miles on its 23-year-old ticker and has an asking price of $4999. If the driver's seat wasn't shredded, I might be inclined to kick its tires. They knock a grand or so off the asking price to cover the cost reupholstering it and if I find time this week I still might. You just never know with these things. Don't laugh, smirk or roll your eyes, this is a lot more than what you might think it is. 


Chrysler introduced these cars for model-year 1996 as a replacement for their very long-in-the-tooth, K-car derived LeBaron's. Why the name change? Who knows. Chrysler Corp had used "Sebring" previously as a trim level on their intermediate Plymouth Satellite's from 1971-1974. Like the LeBaron, these also came in convertible. 


I had briefly shopped the Dodge version of this car, what they called "Avenger", in the late 1990's and didn't give it a second look. My loss as the Sebring and Avenger were both based on the then-current Mitsubishi Eclipse; the hell was I thinking being all about a 1997 Chevrolet Monte Carlo at the time. Well, frankly, I still think the Monte Carlo the better-looking car although these Sebring's are hardly ugly. I don't recall giving these cars a moment's notice either back in the day. 


Oh, what were they thinking with this front end? Chrysler substantially updated these cars for 2001. Sharper, smarter sheet metal reminiscent of a then current 300M coupe (if there was such a thing) on top of Mitsubishi's new and wonderful Eclipse platform (or chassis); I have a 2004 Eclipse Spyder GTS and it's a ridiculously fun to drive. This car might not be quite the fun, but something tells me it would be funner than the Monte Carlo LS I did buy. Yes, he said funner. And would most likely stay bolted and glued together longer as contemporary reviews noted these where the best built "Chryslers" at the time. 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment