Saturday, July 29, 2023

1988 Chevrolet Corvette convertible - Worthy of Praise

 

I was barreling along State Route 14 the other day on the way home from the salt mine when I saw this parked near the side of the road. Out of the corner of my eye I saw what I thought was either 500 or 5,000 shoe polished on the windshield. What with a fourth-generation Corvette convertible on my "must have" short list, I promptly turned around and went back for a closer look. Could this be the road or barn find of my life? 


Well, it might be but I ain't paying no $18,500 for it. And with an asking price this high, an "OBO" of ten-grand, shoot, even twelve or thirteen, probably wouldn't get me far. 


Shame too seeing what spectacular condition the body and paint are in and a color combination to die for. 


I didn't even bother texting to find out how many miles are on this - I would assume not many again given the shape of the body and the interior. 


Hard to peg if the price is fair or not. Haggerty says $23,400 for "excellent" condition and just $9,400 for "good". Split the difference and we sort of have the asking price. Even at $23,400, this would be a bargain considering what it can do compared to a third-gen or C3; trust me on that one. 


Chevrolet introduced these fourth-generation or "C4" Corvettes for model year 1984 in coupe guise only, the convertible came in 1986. In my opinion, the drop top, whether up or down, cures the car of most if not all of its fastback styling foibles. 


Sorry, this pretty girl is not a fan of fastbacks in general and particularly on Corvettes. And while I find little else to find wrong with "C4's" stylistically, mechanically the early ones are atrocious, the convertibles are one of just a smattering of domestic '80's cars I think worthy of praise. 


Just not $18,500 worth of praise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment