Wednesday, November 29, 2023

1994 Chevrolet Lumina Euro - Please Don't Call it A Eurosport


Few things bring back memories like an old car. Especially one in great shape like this 1994 Chevrolet Lumina "Euro" coupe is. Back in late December of 1989, I had gotten fed up with my 1982 Buick Riviera constantly breaking down, so I ditched it, grabbed my checkbook and bought the only brand new car I've ever owned -  a black, 1990 Chevrolet Lumina "Euro" coupe just like this handsome dark red one. 

Chevrolet built the Lumina Euro on General Motors new-for-1988, "GM10" chassis or platform that also underpinned the Pontiac Grand Prix, Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme and Buick Regal. Cadillac never got a GM10. Reviled as much as adored, when P-O-B debuted their GM10's as 1988 models, curiously, they only came as coupes. What's more, the first Chevrolet Lumina didn't leave the factory until the summer of 1989 as 1990 models. Why the delay? Who knows. Alexa can't answer that one. 


P-O-B finally got sedan GM10 for 1990. To underscore how family-centric Chevrolet wanted the buying public to believe their four-door Lumina was, they pulled the sheet off of it at Disneyworld in the spring of 1989. So effective was that marketing ploy that when I'd tell people I bought a brand new Lumina, they'd say, "you bought a family car?" What's more, I'd have to correct them when they'd call it a "Eurosport". Their faux pas somewhat understandable given that from 1984-1989, Chevrolet called a sporty-ish version of their venerable Celebrity, "Eurosport". 

The Lumina replaced the Celebrity in the Chevrolet lineup although Chevrolet continued to offer the Celebrity wagon through 1990. Technically, there was a Lumina wagon but it was the Chevrolet version of the GM plastic-paneled "dustbuster" minivan they called "Lumina APV" (all-purpose vehicle). The only thing it had in common with the Lumina coupe and sedan was its name. Had to be a reason for the overlap; perhaps they had a gaggle of unsold '89's lying around? Alexa? 


For an "over-the-curb" price of $16,600, I thought I had a lot of car on my hands. In addition to what I thought was quite handsome styling, I had a nimble although fairly harsh riding, sized-just-right car that was spacious, comfortable, good on gas for the times (25-27 mpg) and came with nifty seat belts that you could leave buckled if you chose; I did it once, felt I was getting clotheslined when I got in and never did it again. I missed the dual power seats and leather lined interior of my Riviera, but I fathomed that it was fine to take a step or two backwards accoutrement-wise in the interest of my moving forward. 


Only issues I had en masse with my "Euro" was the jarring ride and while adequately powered by its 3.1-liter V-6, I felt it somewhat pokey. I surmised its decent gas mileage made up for the lack of real beans, though. Yes, there was more than a fair share of rationalization going on in my mind but in the end, my "Euro" did exactly what I needed it to: get me from point A to B with not so much a single hiccup. Its stalwart reliability is all but commonplace today, but even in 1990, it was hardly a given. Especially on anything GM if not any domestic. 

I find it interesting how ambivalent I am towards this well preserved 1994. It's for sale on Facebook Marketplace with a fair asking price of $4,500, not bad for anything in this kind of condition these days with, bonus(?), all of 40,000-miles on its 29-year old analog ticker. Having nothing but pleasant memories of my '90, you'd think like some middle-age guy in the late 1980's or early 1990's longing for his long lost '57 Chevy I'd jump at it. Meh. As handsome as I thought this car was back then and I still do, this is no '57 Chevy.  


Also, then as now, please, don't call it a "Eurosport". 








 

No comments:

Post a Comment