Wednesday, April 10, 2013

1977 Cadillac - The Apple Doesn't Fall far From the Tree



Some people see an old car like this and see nothing more than an old car. I'm delighted that my older boy is just like his old man in that he sees more than that. Much more. I've got a soft spot in my heart for these "little Caddies". My dad had two of them.


He's ga ga over this grand old dame until I tell him that we would need him to get a job to help us with the pending huge gas bills. That takes some wind out his sails. A job? Me? Wha?

 
He loves the lines on her and the color. He's a big Texas Longhorns fan. What I find odd...is that he thinks this car "cool". Really. I can't imagine a 16 year in 1977 thinking this car "cool". I trust his instincts though and reaffirms my belief that this car is cool as well. His mother thinks otherwise. Big time otherwise. Let's not go there.
 
 
I've always like these "downsized" GM full sizers which are still very big. They're much more manageable though than the blimps that came before them. My son was pretty nervous driving it; he's never driven anything quite like it before. While it's probably just a shade wider than our Tahoe, it's the length that spooks him. Even spooked me. I forget how big these things were. She's big. Really big.
 
 
The "gentle giant" 425 cubic inch V-8 (that's 7 liters for your metric system lovers) is a direct decendant of the legendary Cadillac 500 V-8 (same bore, shorter stroke). It provides just enough thrust. This car is far from "fast" and that's just fine for this father of two. Last thing I want is for either of my boys to be involved in drag racing. Not not that I think my boys would ever engage in that behavior...but I more than know that I wouldn't be the first father to be surprised by something their kids did.
 

Like I've told my wife many times, you either "get this" or you don't. No need to try and explain it. My son gets it. Totally.


The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.


No comments:

Post a Comment