Sunday, April 7, 2013

Dear William - My Confirmation Letter to my Younger Son

Dear William,
Not long after we moved here to Cleveland I attended a leadership convention at the Quicken Loans Arena. Many great leaders were there to talk to us “leaders” about their lives and their experiences as leaders. Former Secretary of State Colin Powell was there along with Steelers great Terry Bradshaw and former New York Mayor, Rudy Giuliani. All of them were great leaders and what they told us was very interesting.  
The one person who was there that impressed me the most though was the actress, Goldie Hawn. Huh? Yeah. Goldie Hawn. Honestly, she’s not someone that I would first associate the term, “leader” with. In any event, at first I wondered why she was there but after I heard her speak I appreciated her being there even more than anyone else.
She told a story about when she was a young girl someone asked her what she wanted to be when she grew up. She replied, “Happy”. The person who asked her that question pushed her further. “Don’t you want to be a dancer or a singer”? “Well”, she said, “only if it makes me happy.”
William, in your life I hope for only thing and that is for you to be happy.
Congratulations on your confirmation. I am very proud of you.






No comments:

Post a Comment