Friday, August 16, 2013

Frieze Update - I Can't Leave Well Enough Alone


After about a week, actually, it took less time than that, I've decided this is not good enough to keep up. So, back to the drawing board. Of course.


How many times have a I mentioned I'm not a carpenter? One thing I will tell you though, after nearly a year of off again, on again work on "The Great Frieze Project", being a carpenter depends greatly on experience and the tools you have to work with. Really? Like most things in my life, I have to learn things the hard way.

 

I should have known this was going to happen. This board cracked in half on me while was futzing with getting the little pieces making up the inside of the Frieze. The iphone takes a very, very forgiving photo. This is not nearly as good looking in person as it is in these photos.

 

So, my plan is now to use the bike tire rim from my bicycle as the template for the inner arch just like I did here. Challenge is to find a smaller, corresponding arch for a template for the outer or lower arch. For that, I will use the smaller rim from Janet's bike. Genius. The inner arch will also be the lower part of the inside arch that will be the opening for the "pillars" (I don't know what else to call them).

 

Finally, I will put "pillars" behind the openings and attach them to the back of the cut out "Frieze" structure. Very similar to what I did here with our Yankees sign pin striping. These pin stripes are not cut to size; they run completely top to bottom under the NY.

 
It's a lot of work with the jig saw, but I'm confident I can get it done. Let's get at it!

No comments:

Post a Comment