Sunday, November 17, 2013

1996 Buick Skylark - Every Car's Purchase Has Its Story

There were six Skylarks offered by General Motors' Buick division between 1953 and 1998. Our homely red coupe here was part of the last generation of Skylarks built between 1991 and 1997 and was built on GM's "N-body" platform. It's mechanically identical to the Oldsmobile Achieva and Pontiac Grand Am.


It's rude of me to ask, "who would buy this car"? Apparently someone did and assuming its still in the hands of its original buyer, that person has taken very good care of it. As well they should. As well we should all take care of our vehicles as well as this little appliance has been cared for.


Again, this is rude of me, if I had the chance, I would like to ask the owner why they bought this car. Every car's purchase has a story, you know. I found these 1991 vintage  Skylark to be ugly as sin. The styling was, allegedly, to evoke the spirit of Buicks of yore.  This is an "updated" '96-'98 version where Buick much of that avant garde styling to make the car appear less weird. Maybe, just maybe, this otherwise non-descript Buick Skylark was the apple of someones automotive eye. Or someone liked red. Or someone got a good deal on it.


Folks are leery of people they see taking pictures of their car. The owner of this car, a pleasant woman who looked to be in her early sixties, was at first incredulous when she came out of Auto Zone and saw me walking around her car snapping pictures. After I explained that I blog about cars and offered to delete the photos off my phone, she shrugged her shoulders and said she was fine with my picture taking. Between us, I think she was actually quite flattered. Taking advantage of our chance meeting, I asked her how long she had the car and why she bought it. Turns out she bought it brand new in 1996 from a dealership that was in walking distance from her home. That worked our nicely since she didn't have a car nor anyway to get around at the time. She said her salesperson was very nice and gave her good deal on it because it was red. 

No comments:

Post a Comment