Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Little Red Corvette - Winter Storage

 
Early this fall I made the executive decision to not put our Corvette into storage this winter. That storage money going a long way towards my replacing the power steering rack, changing the shocks, repairing the parking brake, getting new tires and finally, if I have time and money left over, a rewire of the dashboard topped off with a new dash board cover. Projects take time and that means time away from us enjoying our car during the summer months. Better to do them in the winter when there's little chance of an afternoon soiree along Lake Erie.
 
  
Well, no sooner had winter hit than disaster almost struck. Last Sunday, as I attempted to pull her out on our lightly snow packed driveway so I could start work on the Monte Carlo's ABS issues, she decided she didn't want to stop and proceeded to nearly careen not only off the center post of the garage but almost into our Tahoe. The only thing stopping her from an expensive, low speed crash was my throwing the damn thing into neutral.
 
 
Turns out what I thought was a puddle of water under the rear of the car was actually a shit ton of brake fluid; the rear cross over brake line had failed. Lovely. With the front brakes locked up and the rear wheels continuing to turn the car slid uncontrollably. With not one but two wheels churning thanks to a 3.08:1 posi rear, you can only imagine how close I came to disaster. Let's put "replace rear brakes lines" at the top of my Little Red Corvette's winter to do list. While I'm at it I might as well replace as many of them as I can.
 
 
It's going to be an interesting winter. Stay tuned. Woof.

No comments:

Post a Comment