Saturday, January 7, 2017

Used Car Shopping On Craigslist - What Should I Wear?


After weeks of shopping for a an inexpensive used car on Craigslist, I've come to the conclusion that it must be just like using on line dating services. For instance, much like I would have to imagine using an on line dating service, you come across something that looks interesting, you call or text and if you're lucky enough to get a response back your heart is a flutter in anticipation that this-could-be-the-one! Problem is you go check the car out (go on a date) and you come crashing down to earth in a hurry. My initial reaction at times so bad that all I want to do is get out of there as quickly as possible. Nothing is ever as good as advertised. That's the cold heart reality of shopping for a used car on "CL". Or, I should say, "dating for a used car" on a budget. A very small budget.


To review, I've thrust myself into the seedy world of cheap used cars since the head gaskets blew on our beloved little '96 Camaro. With a repair of estimate of approximately $2,700 to replace the engine with a junkyard engine, with a one year guarantee mind you on an engine with 145,000 miles on it,  and my estimated expense of another $300 for me to replace the very worn out struts and shocks on the car - not to mention who knows what else on a very squirrely front end, I've budgeted up to $3,000 to replace the entire car. You would think that much money would be a sufficient amount to buy a solid automotive appliance and indeed it is but  the problem is my hyper focus; I'm looking for a 1993-2002 Camaro exclusively. My search has led me to to many a rough Gen 4 Camaro. Really rough. And those are just the ones that I've been able to "date". On Craigslist and dating on line, beggars can't be chooses.


There was the '96 blue bomb in a downtown Cleveland used car lot with 150,000 on it that had what appeared to be ax holes in its left side. Asking price was $1,000. At least there was no check engine light on. It had an after market "performance" exhaust that sounded more like a blown muffler than a performance enhancer.


My wife and I test drove a '97 that it had good heat but had a tendency to slip out of whatever gear it was in. The driver's side window wouldn't roll up all the way either; that's not good anywhere particularly up here in Southern Alaska. The kid who owned almost begging us to buy for less than $700.


The white with orange stripe, 2000 Camaro allegedly only needed a "power steering line" but it seemed more like it needed a power steering pump. The steering was as tight as if the car wasn't even running; I couldn't even test drive it. There was also the tell tale light clanging of bells from the front of the engine that told me the timing chain was going. It also had a couple of body "owies" I couldn't see past.


This black '98 was a honey. Ran strong and although it needed struts and shocks like our '96 I think I could've gotten it for far less than the $2000 seeing how eager the owner was to part with it. 153,000 miles on the clock concerned my older son but he ultimately couldn't see past the car's lack of power windows. Yes. I need my son's approval so that complicates this process further. I show him what I'm looking at and he either approves or disapproves like a parent would on a potential spouse. I'd be willing to swap over the power windows from our '96 but after much research I've determined that that's a project not worth doing. Too much to go wrong and I could screw the whole thing up. Funny thing about high mileage too. I have almost 130,000 miles on my 2002 Monte Carlo and I think it a spring chicken. That same amount on someone else's car and I'm like, "that's a ton of mileage"!


This green Z28 didn't pass muster because my son doesn't like green cars. Did not know that at the time; he likens green cars to "crap cars". No matter how much I tried to convince him that it resembled British Racing Green. No go. Even though it was Z28 - something he now has a fascination with. We have raised both of our boys to be comfortable with speaking their minds, no matter how frustrating what they have to say can at times. We reap what we sow; good and bad. Just as well, the LT-1 was leaking oil and the used car lot recommended an engine rebuild. Yeah, that's like, "after some plastic surgery she'll be beautiful". 


Then there are the people who don't respond to your texts or emails or return voice mails. The yahoo with this dark red 2000 Camaro at first seemed engaged in a transaction but then all of a sudden stopped. interacting with me. 120,000 miles on a rust free Camaro in the town we live in? Seemed to good to be true and apparently it was.


Let's not even rehash this lovely 1994 Z-28 that I was all of flutter for for about a week. While it was out of budget, it was a strong runner and it was, after all, an LT-1 powered Z-28. The dealership did an about face with the price of the car and I walked on the deal. Just as well. Again, it was clearly overpriced and with 115,000 on it it was probably best the deal fell apart anyway.


My latest infatuation is this 1996 Red Camaro that is, save for the lack of the deluxe interior that ours has, literally the same car as ours.


The ad on Craigslist claims the car is far from Arizona and has never seen snow or ice; there's no rust on it either. Our car is very rusty underneath. It's so bad that when I replaced the fuel filter last fall I was concerned I was going to bust my wrench through the rusty floor boards.


The best is it has only 68,000 miles on it and the owner is asking $3,500. Wow. It needs an AC compressor and the cruise control doesn't work but those issues are a far cry from blown head gaskets. If this thing is anywhere near as good as advertised I could be ahead of the game at the end of this never ending used car shopping soap opera.


I texted and called the guy like a love sick teenager and he didn't get back to me. Crestfallen, I had written this thing off as just another rude Craigslister posting an ad who wouldn't respond. I mean, if you post an ad, c'mon, respond to people who are showing an interest even if you've sold the car. Honestly, there can't be too many people responding to a Craigslist ad in Cleveland, Ohio for a twenty one year old V-6 Camaro in the middle of wintertime. It's like an overweight fifty something searching for love on the internet; if someone expresses interest the least you can do is respond. Even if it's to say, "no thanks".


Undeterred, I followed up with another text and presto, he responded. I was ecstatic. I go on a "date" tomorrow afternoon.


What should I wear? 

No comments:

Post a Comment