Monday, November 6, 2017

2001 Cadillac Eldroado - The Aging Process


This past weekend I stumbled across this 2001 Cadillac Eldorado Touring Coupe only to be stung by my 20-year-old son's admonition that not only did this car "not look like a Cadillac", but that it just looked "old". Not "old man car" old like his mother chastises me about with regards to my taste in older Detroit iron but just "old". He also didn't see anything cool or alluring about it. I can't argue with that sentiment seeing this car is 16 going on 17 years old but the fact that he didn't see anything in it that I did tells me that I may not be as young and hip to the ways of the young as I may think that I am. Or was.


My son saying this car was old, and not in a good way really took me by surprise since we tend to have similar taste in automobiles. I, for one, still think these cars as fresh and new looking as the day they were first new; even if that was twenty-five years ago. Cadillac changing little on these cars through its elongated production cycle from 1992 through 2002. I guess I got this one totally wrong. Not that I'd buy this car to make him happy, if he actually liked it, but having his thumbs up certainly makes the decision-making process a whole lot easier. I'm not someone who is impulsive about "wants"; my pragmatic side wins out 99% of the time. 


Now, granted, Cadillac has never been a brand for young people but they have done a spectacular job in the last ten to fifteen years or so of becoming an aspirational brand for young people. Pretty heady stuff when you think about it considering how far off the mark Cadillac was years ago. For certain, when I was my son's age, I was the exception to the rule; young people didn't aspire to own a Cadillac because "Cadillac" was for old people.


Which is ironic considering that Cadillac's renaissance really began in earnest with the introduction of this car and it's four-door stablemate, the 1992 Seville. Their renaissance being that after years of being exclusively a brand for "blue hairs", Cadillac was suddenly a brand that younger buyers would consider purchasing. At least in theory. In practice, this car got laughed off the court by BMW and Mercedes but it was at least it was an honest collegiate try whereas what came before couldn't even suit up to play.


Surprise, surprise, I contacted the dealership first thing Monday morning and they told me it had been sold. The pressure to make a decision to buy this car, mercifully, having been made for me. Another case of, subconsciously, my practical side winning out. Just as well. My son, and my wife for that matter won't have this old car to kick around not to mention I won't have the added stress of waiting for it's dubious "Northstar" V-8 to blow out a head gasket. As miffed at first as I was when I learned it was gone I was just as quickly overtaken by a sense of relief. Avoidance of change - another symptom of getting old (er).

No comments:

Post a Comment