Monday, September 27, 2021

1985 Rolls Royce Silver Spur - The Names have Been Changed

This is a true story. The names have been changed to protect the guilty. 

When I was a kid growing up in Baldwin, New York (Long Island), the "Jones" family living behind us had a number of what I deemed to be off-beat automobiles that looked liked nothing else in the neighborhood; I later deduced that their cars were Rolls-Royce's. Which was incredibly absurd considering how working-class the block was and their cars were worth more than their house, which was bigger and worth far more than anyone else's, was. 


They had late model Rolls' too; not thirty-seven year old rollers like this '85 Silver Spur for sale down I-71 a stretch in lovely Columbus, Ohio for what would seem a reasonable $7,000. But that's relative. After all, we're talking about a Rolls-Royce and one that the poster of the ad claims has some issues and apparently no documentation. 


Like I believe all Rolls-Royce's are, I thought their cars ungainly and homely. Odd inside and out as well. Seeing this one here brings that all back to me too. Still, I'd love to drive one and see what all the hub-bub was all about and ready for myself for a most ordinary of rides. Or nothing more special than the way my 2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo rides and handles. If that sounds like reverse-elitism it's anything but. Trust me on that one. 


Costing more than $100,000 new back in the mid-1980's, this car still has quite the presence and makes a statement; although I'm not sure what that statement is - or was even back then. If Rolls' have ever been about anything it was saying, "I'm rich. Filthy. Stinking rich and have so much money to burn I don't know what to do with it so I've blown a chunk of it on a car." 


Like many an old car, these in particular are not for the faint of heart. The poster of the ad on Facebook Marketplace claims the car needs an oil pump. An oil pum[, really? Just replace the damn thing, mate! Right? 


Well, not so fast, sunshine. A used oil pump for that 6.75-liter, Rolls-Royce V-8 runs about a grand - just for the part. New? Good luck finding one and tearing into that lump to replace it is not something for us shade-trade, garage hack amateur mechanics could, would or should do. 


It's recommended only Rolls-Royce certified mechanics work on these things and good luck finding one. Or finding one that you won't have to melt your 401K down to bankroll the bills. 


Rolls-Royce's are famous for their "sophistication" and durability but if their maintenance has not been documented, like it apparently has not been on this thing, the advice of many is to stay away. A maxim to remember is that if you can't afford a good Rolls-Royce, you really can't a for a bad one. 


So, back to the "Jones'" and their gaggle of Rolls'; the Mr. had a Silver Spur like this while the Mrs. had a Corniche coupe in blue. They also had an in-ground pool, in a neighborhood dotted with above ground pools, cast growling lions on their on their front stoop, a jacuzzi, and my mother claimed their was a sauna in the attic. Their son and daughter, both of whom were more than ten years older than I was, were both private schooled. The family took multiple European family vacations every year too. 


Best is they couldn't have been nicer people. The only thing I recall my parents saying about what Mr. Jones did for a living was that he worked in construction specializing in pouring foundations for new homes. 


One day I saw Mrs. Jones pushing Mr. Jones through the park in a wheel chair; he had huge plaster casts on both legs. When I asked my mother if she knew what happened, she said he had been in a car accident and both of his knee caps were broken. Junior sleuth I was, I didn't see any damage to either of their two Roll's. 














No comments:

Post a Comment