Saturday, January 5, 2013

1986 Buick Park Avenue - To Know Me Is To Love Me

I'm not an advocate of taking pictures while driving but this one was too good to pass up. Trust me when I tell you that I just picked up my trusty Blackberry and snapped away hoping that something usable would come of it. Eureka!
 


It is said that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, to each his own and love is blind. So true. Case in point. A 1986, creme colored, Buick Park Avenue. I didn't even like these cars at first but I fell in love with them because they were just so darn good.
 
 
I remember lamenting GM's switch to front wheel on their full size cars like it was yesterday. I was actually saddened by it. Really. I like my cars big, rear wheel driven and powered by a mighty, carbureted, V-8 engine like the brute above. Or so I thought.
 
 
These cars though, with the exception of Cadillac's awful version with a V-8, where small (relatively), front wheel driven and were powered by a V-6. Ugh. Drive one and your perception changes immediately. Snappy engines, great handling from rack and pinion steering, superb brakes. Suddently, the big, rear drive, V-8 cars became, "old school". The styling kinda grew on me too although the sedans were never "handsome" in my opinion. I preferred the much rarer 2 door versions.
 
  
My Dad had this very similar Buick LeSabre that sadly, met the rear end of a Jeep Wrangler outside the Queens mid town tunnel. The trim and equipment level might be a tad plusher on the Park Avenue and the wheel base a bit longer but underneath where it counts the cars are identical.
 
  
You don't see many 27 year old cars running around these days as daily drivers. Especially here in North East Ohio where many of them no doubt have succumbed to rust. This lovely Park has a little rusht but nothing that doesn't make it even more interesting.

Slow, down will ya? I need another picture!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment