Monday, May 12, 2014

C3 Corvette Emblem Project


My next wood working project for the man cave will be a woodified version of our 1977 Corvette's emblem. No small feat, I might add, given my primitive abilities and humble, albeit much improved of late, collection of wood working tools.


It all starts with a template. Just like I had done with my Jets logo project, I projected an image of a "C3" Corvette logo onto packing paper I had attached to the conference room movie screen at the office. A steady hand while tracing the image gave me a good working outline.


Two hours of straightening, redrawing and general massaging of the image resulted in my deciding that this project should become a reasonable facsimile of a C3 logo as opposed to the actual logo. Again, my wood working skills are modest at best and while I appreciate you thinking better of my work than I do, I know there's only so much I can do. I know what I can and most importantly what I can't do. I promptly straightened out any soft curves from the template to make this "easier" on myself.


I cut my stock to size, twice, for the upper part of the emblem and the lower or back of it. My C3 Corvette emblem "facsimile" will at the very least have terrific three dimension. Then I cut the much refined template out of the packing paper and transferred it to the top board.

 
I will screw the boards together so that when I cut this with my jig saw the top and bottom of the logo will be the same. The tough part will be transferring the checkered flag to the top board and then cutting the fifteen, count 'em, fifteen boxes for the checkered flag. I will cut the flag out with my jig saw first before I cut the actual logos out. This will give me more of a base to work from and will minimize flex in blade. I plan to all or most of the cutting this coming weekend. No sense in rushing things.
 




No comments:

Post a Comment