Friday, May 2, 2014

New York Yankees Man Cave Shutters - Finally Done!

 
I've come to realize that my wood working skills, much like marriage, is a never ending series of compromises. Either compromises or rationalizations. Which ever floats my personal boat at the time I complete a project. For certain, I don't like to admit that I couldn't do something that I originally thought I could but in the interest of actually finishing this project, that had as much practical application as decorative, I moved on from my original design to something else the moment that I realized that I had bitten off way more than I could possibly chew. Or in this case, cut with my newly purchased scroll saw.
 
 
 
 
To review, the issue with our man cave was these glass block windows. They let in a ton of light during the day and that means a simulated cinematic experience in my man cave is not all that it could be. 
 
 
 
Those windows face north so I can only imagine what it would be like if they faced east or west. In any event, the solution, was shutters or some sort of sun blocking barrier. The boys had been using pillows to block out the sun; effective but it looked horrible. Something had to be done.  

 
 
Ladies and gentlemen, I introduce to you, "The Scroll Saw". Quite possibly the most fiendishly addictive tool ever created. I say "fiendishly" because at first you think you're going to become a woodworking zenmaster and work with it 24/7/365 because it's so easy and fun. Yeah. And then reality hits and you find yourself wanting to throw it across the garage. Good thing it's fairly heavy.
 
 
My plan was to make life like, miniature wooden  facsimiles of the 1976 Yankee Stadium Frieze and attach them to the shutters. Actually, my original, original plans called for the both shutters to be like the Frieze but I though better of that plan. Suffice to say, I quickly realized how difficult "The Scroll Saw" is to work with. Those that have mastered it are true masters. This ain't easy, y'all.
 
 
I broke my first blade cutting the emblem on the right. Freaked me out. I thought a gun went off. Man, that was loud. After consulting with my scroll saw rabbi, I got back on the horse and got back at it. Several attempts later I got to the emblem on the left. Photos don't do it justice just how much better the one on the left looks compared to the one on the right.  
 
  
The Yanks old fashioned good start to the 2014 season makes this even nicer. I plan on adding some fill material to the back and top of the shutters to completely darken the Cave. I'm pretty happy with the way they came out.  
 
 
My next Scoll Saw project will be a Texas Longhorns logo. Stay tuned!

 


1 comment:

  1. This article narrates about the blinds and explains how it can make your look refreshing and relaxing. Furthermore, it also recommends readers to get it installed from Oldham wood Blinds.

    ReplyDelete