Thursday, September 7, 2017

Cadillac ATS4 2.0T - Ummmm, No.


Last weekend I was doing the front brakes on my 2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo when I noticed a fair amount of green fluid leaking from somewhere underneath it. I (hopefully) deduced that it was coolant - I think I over filled the reservoir last time I topped it off and the angle of the car on my jack stand may have drained out the excess. What else could it be? The quick and not so subtle panic attack it caused me to have got me seriously thinking though; good grief, what if I needed to replace my car! What I replace it, with?  How about a Cadillac ATS4 2.0T coupe? 


Umm, no. That wouldn't happen even if I had to get another car like, now! And the reason for that is quite simple - I just don't like this car enough to buy it. Even if used ones can be had for a relative song I just don't have a "jones" for it. And, when you're a car guy, a car guy who keeps their rides forever, deep automobile lust is key to making that 48-60 month commitment. Good lord, I've seen 72 and 84 month "paper" these days too. Incidentally, deep lust in any relationship goes a long way towards being happy.


Last time I ran into one of these things I was on vacation at my mother in law's place down in South Florida last Christmastime. That one down there was a hopped up ATS-V and not an "entry" level baby like our subject here I found in the back parking lot of the office building I work in outside of Cleveland Ohio. Darnedest thing, somehow it looks better in photos than it does in person. In photos you can't tell just how half a size here and there too small it is. It throws off any shot at balance and symmetry the design might have. Too bad. Based on GM's most excellent Alpha platform, that also underpins the latest Chevrolet Camaro, this is a strong performing "little" car.


Us coupe lovers are about as fickle a bunch as you're going to find and you would think I'd at least like this car let alone love it but it has always left me cold. And no matter how spectacular a performer it may be, I'd rather drive something that performs less well that stirs me emotionally. The current Camaro leaves me cold as well. Sigh.


Overall, I do like this better than the CTS coupe that this car replaced in the Cadillac lineup. Remember that thing with it's freaky 1950's sci-fi movie rear end? Oh, my eyes.


Since the weekend my Monte Carlo has been running well with no more dripping coolant and my new brakes are absolutely fabulous. Thank goodness. Because if anything were to seriously go wrong with my car I honestly don't know what I'd do to replace it.
  



No comments:

Post a Comment