Wednesday, August 15, 2018

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo - How Much Longer Can I Keep This Thing Running?

 



Last weekend I got a diagnosis from the local service center than my 2002 "Dale Earnhardt" Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS with "only" 160,000 miles on it needs a new oil pan gasket, exhaust system, power steering rack, right front wheel bearing, and a front stabilizer link. That on top of the air conditioning system that needs a condenser and the top to bottom cost of getting my car as  mechanically sound as possible would be just under $4,000.

 

 
In the past, every time I've gotten rid of a car because I believed the cost of the repairs wasn't worth it, I've regretted it. I have no intention of replacing this car nor am I going to spend that kind of money on it either; repair shops love old cars like mine because they can make money off them. Big time. I'm going to see just how long I can keep this thing going with it leaking oil and power steering fluid. This should be interesting.


The oil pan gasket - the repair doesn't sound like much but it's quite labor intensive to get at it -  and steering rack are leaky but they're not leaking; big difference. If either start gushing I've got a decision to make but right now they just have very slow leaks. The exhaust is noisy but tolerable. The only "have to do" is the wheel bearing. I bought the damn things on line on the cheap and I got what I paid for. Not 1,000 miles on them and the one I installed on the right side is vibrating. My bad. The stabilizer link is a quick and easy fix too. Living in north east Ohio, air conditioning is not as important as in other parts of the country. I can continue to live without it as I've done the last couple of years. Sucks when it rains during summer but outside that it's ok. Really. It is.

  
This all might sound like rote rationalization or my cheapness is on display front an center. Two kids in college and a modest income will do that to a man. Also factor in fear of buyers remorse. The good news is that I still really like this car. It's comfortable, reasonably economical, handles well, and it's paid for. I do 99% of the repairs on it myself so it's as close to a "free" car at this point as you can get.
 
 
Besides, what else is out there that's a fraction as cool?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment