Wednesday, January 12, 2022

2013 Tesla Model S - Sky High

 

I love the story about the guy in Finland who blew up his 2013 Tesla rather than pay $22,000 to have the battery replaced in it.  


Reminds me of the oh-so-'70's pop hit, "Sky High" by the British band, "Jigsaw". The song is catchy enough but the video is so bad it's all but a blue print on how not to do a music video. 


The whole thing highlights the biggest question I have about "EV's" (electric vehicles) - how long will they last? And if they do last a long time or can, how much will it cost you? Sorry, friends. Jury's out on that one. Far as I'm concerned they're not meant for the long haul. They're toys for the rich.  


According to RepairPal, the average Tesla maintenance cost is $832 per year. That compares to an average of $652 per year for all car models sold in the United States. However, depending on which services your Tesla needs, you may end up spending much more than the average car owner on maintenance needs. 


While "EV's" are very expensive to purchase, based on your home kilowatt usage, they cost a fraction of what it costs to operate a gas powered vehicle. Of course, they get you in the end anyway with other expenses. 


I'm about to break the quarter-million mark on my 2002 Dale Earnhardt Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS and while it hasn't been easy at times, the repairs, for the most part, have been dirt cheap. And I've been able to do the vast majority of them myself. Would the average shade-tree, garage mechanic like me be able to do repairs to a Tesla or any of the growing gaggle of EV's?


"Sky High" by Pilot reached No. 3 on the American Billboard Pop Chart in 1975. 






No comments:

Post a Comment