Monday, January 24, 2022

2023 Cadillac Escalade V - I'm as Drunk as Cooter Brown


Cadillac dropped a big tease this past week when they semi-kinda took the proverbial sheet off their new for '23, Escalade V.  Just so you know that's "V" as in "Vee" not five. Can't blame you for perhaps being a little confused since this "V" iscoincidentally, part of the fifth generation of 'Slades. And "V" in Cadillac-eese since 2004 means super-duper performance. Super-duper expensive too. Rest assured this will come in north of $125,000 making it the most expensive Cadillac ever. 


Cadillac was vague on details, there's a full reveal in May, but rumor has GM's LT4, supercharged, 6.2-liter V-8 will be behind this massive grill that's larger than the already too big grill on lesser Sladers. It's the same engine found in the CT5-V Blackwing where it makes 668-horsepower and 659-foot-pounds of torque. Holy. Crap. Where has that thing been all my life? Anyhoo, the big sell with the Slade V is that with the LT4, it'll be amongst the fastest and most powerful luxury SUV's in the world.


A three-ton-plus, $125,000 Cadillac that can do 0-60 in under four seconds. Well, I'm as drunk as Cooter Brown. Where do I sign? 


If I don't "get" luxury SUVs in general so what am I to make of a high-performance one? Especially from Cadillac, a brand that I still liken to trash from the 1970's and 1980's. '90's too if you throw in anything powered by the Northstar V-8. Aren't there better ways to spend enormous amounts of money on a vehicle? And one that's not a freakin' Cadillac? 


For my money, if I had it in the huge troves that would allow me to write the monthly stipend for one of these and not think twice about it, although they're not quite as fast, I'd spring for at least a Mercedes-Benz GLS AMG or BMW X7 M50i. I'd also cross shop an Aston Martin DBX and even a Lamborghini Uros just to tell the boys down at the country club I looked at those before settling on the Benz or Bimmer. Not some Cadillac. 

No comments:

Post a Comment