Sunday, March 6, 2022

2008 Buick Lucerne - As Good As it Gets. Right Now (at least)


With my 2002 Dale Earnhardt Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS facing possible extinction what with it having to pass Ohio e-Check before I can renew its registration, I scratched the surface of the used car market today and uncovered this interesting (not so) little gem for sale on Cleveland's "east side". It's a 2008 Buick Lucerne with just 85,000 on its digital ticker and an asking price of $3,500. With a leather interior and GM's late, great 3800 Series III V-6, this, friends, is about as good as it gets as a used car purchase gets these days. 


The only problem with it is, aside from this "custom" red piping, which is only up front, is the seller says the check engine light is on because of "the evap". Why they don't go ahead and have that fixed is a question I'll never get answered. But why don't they? Well, because it would cut into their profit margins of course. I'd pay more for this car with it not "throwing codes" and with this god awful, obviously hand applied red stuff yanked out. 


If I was that desperate, and who's to say I won't be eventually, what with my brutal commute, this Lucerne checks the list on what I would be looking for. That being an inexpensive car that would be relatively inexpensive to fix, has low mileage, is comfortable, reasonable on gas and is something that I wouldn't mind plowing zillions of miles onto. Big trunk, somewhat interesting looking and a comfy, easily accessible back seat too. Damn it, what am I? My father? 


Then again, it's a Buick four-door sedan so as much as it may have going for it, I'd liken it more to a rolling coffin than a transportation conveyance. Funny how when I wore a younger man's clothes, I thought nothing of driving an old man's car. Nowadays I wouldn't be caught dead in one. Never say never. 


Buick offered the handsome Lucerne from 2005-2011. Replacing the Park Avenue and the LeSabre, it rides on the same chassis that also underpinned the Cadillac DTS of the same vintage although one with a shorter wheelbase. That shorter, tidier wheelbase gives the Lucerne better proportion than the clumsy looking DTS. This to me is a car GM should have, could have sold as a bargain basement Cadillac. Cadillac "Park Avenue", anyone? 


They also offered these with the Cadillac "Northstar" engine the 3800 Series III V-6 like this one has is the way to go. Cadillac may have sorted out most of the issues with the Northstar by 2005 but it's still a Northstar. Although you're giving up the dark side of a hundred horsepower and nearly fifty some odd foot pounds of torque, the Series III will be easier on gas, just as smooth and will run forever. You won't win any drag races but then again, c'mon. It's a Buick sedan. 


Lucerne is named after the city in the middle of Switzerland, and many say it's the prettiest city in the world. Can't say anyone would say the Buick Lucerne is the prettiest car in the world but in these semi-post Covid times with runaway inflation and supply chain issues, as a used car, it may just be the best value in the world right now. Check engine light be damned. 













 

No comments:

Post a Comment