Saturday, June 17, 2023

1972 Cadillac Eldorado - Are They Really Alive?


I've written so much about Cadillac Eldorado's in all their good, bad and indifferent guises and iterations, that I believe I'm plum tuckered out of things to say about them. I guess I felt bad for this old lion when I saved some of the photos from the Facebook ad for it decided to write something about it. If for no other reason out of respect for it. 


While a 1967-1970 Eldorado might have a place in my Jay Leno Fantasy Garage, these 1971-circa reboots, that I think turned the once proud, cutting edge designs into parade floats, I'd rather see used to help prevent beach erosion. These came in convertible form too which only accentuated their floppiness. 


This patina rich Eldo strikes a chord with me reminds me as it reminds me of when I would visit my father in various nursing homes he was shuttled around to at the end of his life. One in particular with an indifferent staff and stinking of cheap institutional food, bleach, urine and feces - a god awful place. Many rooms filled with ghastly old people staring blankly at the ceiling with mouths agape. No one with them, heart monitor beeping slowly. I hope they were high as kites oblivious to their situation. Where they really alive? 


Who would buy this and why? Asking price is $4,000 which I think fair but still, a lot of money to put down on something that'll need twice that to stop people from putting their noses up. It probably has a ton of heart warming stories to tell if it could. That bug deflector tells me it was perhaps a retired couple's dream car and they used this gas-inhaling hog to tour the country. Then one of them passed and the other lost the drive to make such trips and it got stored, maybe for a time outside so the elements got the best of it for a while. We'll never know. Best to look away and pretend not to see it - like I did seeing those poor souls in that nursing home my father was in years ago. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment