Sunday, July 21, 2013

Frieze Update - What the Hell is That?


Sunday morning, my wife and I walked through our garage on the way out to our Sunday jog. My not even half painted work bench caught her roving eye.

 
"What the hell is that?" she blasted. It wasn't a question as much as a white hot, should say blue hot, damnation of what I had spent most of the early morning doing. "Wait until I finish it", I replied, "Then you can hate it completely."

 
It's been a while since I've done anything with my work bench and the ongoing, "Frieze Project".  You may recall my whimsical plan...to construct a Yankee Stadium inspired Frieze atop my work bench. Why? Exactly. First things first, though. I had to expand my work bench by three if not four times its original size.


 

The expansion took forever. I'm not a carpenter. After weeks months of soul crushing mistakes construction last winter, I finally finished it in March. After four months off, I've gotten my mojo back to finish it. Just as the Yanks attempt a dash to make the playoffs. Timing, as they say, is everything.


First, paint. I typically hate painting but this is fun because with a few brush strokes I'm able to see  dramatic results. Full disclosure; this is not Yankee blue. It's Penn State blue. It's surprisingly similar to Bomber Blue. Lowes wouldn't make me a gallon of Yankee blue but they would make this Penn State knock off. Whaaat? Whatever. I like it and it's close enough for Mickey Mantle and Don Mattingly. When I'm done, my work bench will be blue with white trim. Yankee logos, both white and blue, will adorn it. The Frieze, at the top here, will of course be white. Although, it should be noted, the original Frieze was actually green. It was made of copper.


Onward. And as they say, upward.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment