I cannot believe how much first-generation Camaros are going for these days. Even the non-SS cars, like this numbers-matching, L30 327 cubic-inch V8-powered, Powerglide-equipped 1967 base coupe. The asking price was $36,500. Holy schnikes!
It has power steering and brakes, a 12-bolt Posi rear end, a deluxe interior, and supposedly just 44,000 miles. on its 59-year-old ticker. It was repainted 30 years ago in its original factory color.
For years, you could pick these up cheap, and then all of a sudden, around 2000, values skyrocketed. They've stayed way up there ever since. Figures. If someone was say, 16-, 17-years-old in 1967 and wanted one of these, in 2000, they would have been pushing 50. Theory goes that flush with disposal income, first-gen Camaros are what they treated themselves to.
These were never on my wish list, but I wouldn't kick one out of my garage if one magically appeared in there.
About 10 years ago, maybe 12, I got some quality wheel time in a '68 Camaro RS convertible. Best was, the owner egged me on to really get on it. Hoo-boy. It had a built 350 in it, and it was stinking fast. While it handled like a truck with square wheels and had felt like it had the structure of cardboard box, this coupe no doubt would feel like a rollling bank vault in comparison, the real problem was the brakes. Not only had they not been upgraded, but they were also manual drums. Terrifying. Sorry, not sorry, but I wasn't impressed. Of course, I didn't tell him that.
1967 was the first year for the first-generation Camaro, the Camaro General Motors answer to the Ford's game changing Mustang that came out more than 2-years prior.
Fun fact: the way to tell a '67 from a '68 Camaro is by the vent windows. The '67s have them; the '68s don't.
No comments:
Post a Comment