Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Frieze Update - Game of Inches


I ain't no carpenter but if I was I think I would flat out suck at it.

The biggest problem with finishing this endless workbench expansion has been the weather. It's been brutally cold here the last couple of weekends and with a business trip thrown into the mix on top of the weather it's now over a month that I've been tooling with what I thought would be a 3 - 4 hour project.


Last weekend my younger son was my helper again and it was no more than 20 degrees out in the garage. The doors were closed to keep the relentless wind at bay but it was still stinging and numbing cold after about 15 minutes. Some classic rock tunes on the radio helped to keep our conversation going between passes on the table saw but the cold eventually crushed my ambition to finish the job.


My goal though, despite mother nature, was to finish at least the shelving under the "new" workbench. Everything was going along beautifully except that I noticed that the kick plate needed to be trimmed by about half an inch. Hrmph. That would've required significant disassembly and that meant more wasted time. So, instead, I worked around that problem and soldiered onward toward final assembly.


After it all fell together with some hammering, cussing and screwing I stepped back and took a look at my work. Oh. No. The whole thing is not square (I could live with that) but more importantly it's not plum. Great. So much is this thing off that you can notice it with a naked eye. This ain't gonna work. I huffed and I puffed and resolved that this beast is going to require more time to complete. That's right, Bob Villa. It needs to come apart. That means more time.  


Sweet, cold, frigid time that I myself was dissappointed in needing to invest. When you have a 14 year old jogging place to stay warm my decision was easy to make. Ditch the project until next weekend.


Hello, level. We'll meet again for another weekend afternoon of battle this Sunday. 






No comments:

Post a Comment